So, I'm still falling short of my mission to spend time with God daily, all in an effort to know him, but I will keep plugging along. . I went to prayer meeting last week and will try and go again this week. I figure, the more I expose myself to places, people, and activities that have Jesus at the center of them, that will help me to develop a better relationship.
Prayer meeting interestingly enough was about sin, the origin of it, and what it means for us today. From what I gathered, the central point was that sin started in heaven, and because of sin, Christ had to come. What was stressed, was not so much sin itself, but the result of it, the death of Christ, but thankfully, for us, the opportunity to have eternal life. Tonight, I continue my journey through Matthew, now on Matthew 4, 5.
Matthew 4 talks about the tempation of Jesus, the beginning of His ministry, choosing His disciples . Interesting points
1. Jesus was "carried by the Spirit to the desert, to be tempted of the devil".
-Jesus was carried, or led to be tempted. So it seems like the entire process was planned, ordained, and orchestrated before. Whether, the Spirit carried Him, or merely impressed upon Him and led Him, it appears as though Jesus'went to the wildnerness, not totally on His own volition. Some higher being was involved, and that suggests that there was some great purpose for the temptation process. I think the purpose was to be an example for us on earth.
2. Jesus was tempted after having fasted for 40 days and 40 nights.
-After fasting He was probably physically weak, with little tolerance and patience.
-After fasting He was probably spiritually stronger. It had to take a supernatural strength to refuse bread, after not eating for 40 days. The flesh wanted to take the devil's bread, but the spirit that had been fortified in Him over those 40 days of fasting overcame.
3. What specific things was Jesus tempted with?
-Food: The flesh, desire. After not eating for 40 days, it was an easy thing for the devil to offer him.
-Questioning of His identity: I think today, when the devil questions our identity its in a way opposite of how he did to Jesus. Then, he said, "If you're really the Son of God, cast yourself down and God will send angels to keep you". Now, I think he flips it, and after we have done something that is not in tune with a Christian lifestyle, he says "I thought you were a Christian", he makes us feel guilty and unworthy.
-Power: He offered him kingdoms, if Jesus would only worship him.
4. Jesus started his ministry after this period of fasting and temptation. I believe the fasting had fortified His mind, and given Him strength, purpose to go out and do God's work. I can only imagine the communion that He had had with God during those 40 days, and so after that, He was ready to go to work.
5. How did Jesus choose His disciples?
- There was no selection committee, no stringent criteria. The common thread between the first 4 men Jesus chose as His disciples was their willingness to leave what they were doing and follow Him. The verses say straightway they left their job, their family and went with Him. They didn't waver. They didn't ask how they were going to take care of their families, and whether they would see their father again....they just went. I wonder what would make them just go, and I wonder whether I would just go. I'm almost sure I wouldn't. I definitely would have had some questions :) I guess that's on the goals I hope to accomplish as I get to know God....a willingness, and total trust to let Him lead my life, to just go with Him, even if I don't know where it is, or how things will work out.
6. What work did Jesus do when he started his ministry?
-"teaching in the synagogues", "preaching the gospel", "healing all disease and pain in the town"
-If Christ came to earth to be out ultimate example, then the work He did, is the work we're supposed to be doinng. Healing, preaching and teaching.
10 Blessings
My sister....My spain girls....Another opportunity to ask for forgiveness of sins...that I'm sort of staying on track with my worship...My progress thus far with studying....My mom....God's providence....God's blessing on Infinite Praise over the weekend....That I didn't hit that pedestrian....Clothes, food, shelter, health.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment