So I've set my phone to alarm at midnight, as a way to not forget to have worship, until it becomes such an integral part of my life that I will look forward to taking up my Bible to see what words of life God has for me.
I made it to prayer meeting this evening, to be honest, I"m not sure how much I got from it. We read from a book about the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, and how he appeared to his disciples etc. I thnk in order for me to truly get the message, I may need to read and meditate on my own, but I"m still glad I went. I like the people at the church I went to (its not the church I normally worship at on Sabbath) and they are always very encouraging. So I think on Friday night I may read about the resurrection and crucifixion myself.
For tonight, I read Matthew 5. Another familiar passage, the Sermon on the Mount. What principles for life are hidden in these words and what do they tell me about God's/ Jesus's character?
1. I think the Beatitudes are words of hope. They offer a promise to a class of people who aren't often seen as being blesse, who have attributes that aren't always applauded in society. The peacemakers, the meek, the poor in spirit, merciful, the persecuted....its God's way of saying "hold on, I see your situation, and your reward is on the way".
2. V. 13 - 16 talk about being light, and being salt. Essentially as Christians, we are called to make a positive difference on our immediate surrounding. When you add salt to food, it tastes better, the flavor is enhanced. Salt is used to preserve food, extend life, accentuate, enhance. That's our role as God's people. We are to improve the lives of those around us. Our presence is to be felt. Once you put salt on something that's bland, its obvious that salt has been added. Same with light. There's no way, light and dark can coexist. Same way, if we are to be lights, set on a hill, then our presence is to be noted by those near and far.
The chapter talked about several other things and gave specific principles, but i think I"m gonna stop on the light and salt for tonight, because interestingly enough, today I felt like I had no purpose....like I was just living, and consuming, and not really contributing to my surroundings. Hopefully this word is an impetus, and a daily reminder for me to be salt and light in a tangible, real way. I know for sure I need to start working with my young people again, on a more consistent basis, and I know for sure I need to be hitting the streets on Sabbath to minister to the community around our church. These are all things I've thought about and God has placed a desire in my heart to do, but I just can't seem to get them done, in a consistent way. With the prospect of having only a limited amount of time in this city. I really really need to get going on these things. Who knows whether God has brought me to Cincinnati, for such a time as this, to do something no one else can in my church and my surroundings.
My prayer is that God will give me strength, patience to wait on His time. patience with myself because I kind of get stressed when I feel so pregnant with ideas and things I wanna do, but just can't find the time or discipline to get accomplished, that the desires to serve He has placed in me, will not die, and that in His strength I will get them done. I know that my life right now is lacking service, and I know that once I start, I will feel complete, knowing I have a purpose, and am doing something for someone other than myself.
10 Blessings (maybe 8 :)
Prayers of my friends...I talked to my BFF today....Good friends who I can really share my thoughts and flaws with....My sissy....The word and that I can freely read it without fear or persecution....Another day to ask forgiveness....Spiritual friends and company on this journey....Prayer meeting today....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment