So, I guess today I will actually start reading something in my journey to get to know God. So my worship for today was Matthew 25: 1 - 13, the familiar story of the ten virgins. Because this is a text I've read before, I really want to explore it and grab the essence of the text and more importantly try to apply the principle to my everyday.
The Wise Virgins
-Took their lamps
-Took oil
-Slept
The Foolish Virgins
-Took their lamps
-Didn't take oil
-Slept
The story starts out by saying: "The kingdom of heaven is like...." and ends with the admonition to "Watch, because we do not know the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man shall come". To me that suggests that the content in between those two statements is a lesson, a pearl, a way to get me to understand something; which is just what parables were. They were Jesus' way of delivering a heavy message in way the people would understand. So I guess I can try and extract some principles.
1. I think the 10 virgins represent Christians in general. We all are waiting for Christ's return.
2. Within the group of believers there are some who have the "oil" and some who don't. I'm not sure what the oil represents, I've heard it described as the Holy Spirit. I think it may represent a relationship with God, a true genuine connection. I say that because of verse 12 where it says "...of a truth I tell you, that I do not know you". So the bridegroom says, I don't know you, and the only thing that differed between the foolish virgins and the wise virgins was their lack of oil, so I guess I kind of deduced that knowing him, is what the oil is.
3. I think the lamps represent our "banner" of Christianity. However, without oil, the lamps were useless. Without a relationship with God, our religions are useful.
4. The bridegroom, left, and tarried long, but he came back. Jesus left, he has tarried long, but just like he said he would, He's coming back. And because he's coming back, we need to be ready to meet him when he comes. I would hate to have lived me whole life believing in something, having the opportunity to partake in something and yet still miss out; when there was nothing to prevent me, other than myself.
5. All the virgins slept, both wise and foolish. In our Christian walk, we will get tired, discouraged but if we have oil, we'll always be prepared for when the bridegroom comes.
6. "Velad pues, porque no sabeis el dia ni la hora en que el Hijo del Hombre ha de venir". We have to Watch. How does a person keep watch, they're aware of the times, they're vigilant, and they're PREPARED for anything that might happen. If I'm keeping watch for something at night, I"m gonna make sure I have some light, make sure my lamp works. Its no use to have a lamp with no oil, how am I supposed to keep watch in the dark.
Over the course of my life and especially now as I try to reacquaint myself with God, I want to "keep my lamps all trimmed and burning, ready for the Lord's returning" and bear in mind the principles from this text.
Be blessed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment