Today as I got in my car to drive home, I noticed that the needle on the gas gauge was on E :( It was about 11, and I don't usually like stopping late at night to get gas so I thought I'd try and make it home. All the while as I drove those 20 minutes, I was praying, "Lord, please help me get home, please help me get home." Thankfully I did. As I was driving though, "Ellie" (my car) just sounded horrible, thirsty. The brakes were acting funny, and the car just wasn't running her best, which is usually how it is whenever I need to fill up my tank, and then as soon as I do, everything seems to be back to normal.
That whole experience today, although so simple seemed very timely and appropriate. My car isn't the only thing running on empty right now; my spiritual life is too. :( Right now I am spiritually surviving on the fumes that remain from last Sabbath's sermon (and that's for the times when I do make it out to church). Despite the fact that I've been a Christian for most of my life, I seem to struggle with having a CONSISTENT and close relationship with God. I not only struggle with it, but it bothers me and at times I'll try to change it, but after while, I just slip back into not reading and studying like I should all over again. Well last Friday, I thought I'd try again and I thought maybe starting a blog may give me some degree of accountability. I usually scribble stuff down inn my prayer journal, but I type way faster than I write :) So this blog is just an attempt at developing a relationship with God. As I thought about all of this on the way home, I wasn't sure where to start, but then I figured I'd try the Gospels. I've read them before, but I plan to read them again to gain a deeper sense of who Jesus and the Godhead truly are. I guess, if I'm trying to develop a relationship with someone, I should start by getting to know them. So I'm committing too learning who God is, learning of his character, and what I can do to be like Him, because in the end, (just like tonight), I just wanna get home, to heaven, and there's no guarantee that I'll make it there if I'm just running on fumes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment